A huge thanks to everybody who came along and supported the inaugural Royal Park Festival yesterday. We had a great day and it was fantastic to see so many people experiencing and loving Royal Park – particularly those who hadn’t been there before. I would like to think that we were successful in our aim of raising the profile of Royal Park, highlighting the many many different ways it is invaluable to its users, and celebrating as a great asset for Melburnians.
I would also like to thank the incredibly talented and hard working people and groups who played a role in helping make what was a vague idea just a few months ago into a reality and paving the way for future festivals to come. I would like to acknowledge the support of:
- The Royal Park Festival organising committee – Alexander Mengel, Andy Cole, Anthony Corbett, Chris Allan, Dimitri Russo, Hollie Riches, James Conlan, James Zarucky, Matthew Kneale, Rebecca Clements, Sarah Moorhead and Vicky Fysh
- The volunteers that helped us set up, run and pack down the Festival – Christine Di Muccio, Misa Fujii, Liliana Lopez, Kare Tonning, Ashley Onori, Sarah Carles, Veronica Grant, Ruth Morgan, Amy van den Nieuwenhof, Liam Henderson and Natasha Rooney
- Anatole Pitt, who made our amazing band program possible by operating the sound system the whole day
- Calvin Cropley, our fantastic photographer for the day (see his photos from the festival here!)
- Josiah Lulham, whose arts and event planning experience was invaluable in organising the event, and who arranged for our heavy duty sound system
- University of Melbourne Student Union Arts Department for their financial support towards our sound system
- All the community groups and individuals who ran activities on the day and helped demonstrate the myriad ways Royal Park is used and loved – Melbourne University Baseball Club, Melbourne University Ultimate Frisbee Club, Kaye Ballintyne of Brunswick Yoga Studio, Petra Stock & Katrina Gill (orgami activity), Friends of Royal Park (walking tours), Tuckonie Orienteering Club, Kerry of Four Paws K9 training (dog show), Royal Park Protection Group and Protectors of Public Lands Victoria.
- Our brilliant bands – Jane & Ted, Macleod College Big Band, Wire Bird, Yoleo, Pepperjack, Dear Plastic, and Captain Apples
- The vendors serving up delicious food and drink all day – Vegilicious, Wild Horse Cafe, and Mutter Krause
- Helen Rowe of CoDesign for her support, advice, experience and reassurance, and for lending us materials such as milk crates and blackboards that made the festival comfortable and decorative
- Cr Rohan Leppert of Melbourne City Council for providing guidance on permit and approval processes
- Alvaro Maz, Jacob Lindsay and Erin Skurrie at Creative Suburbs for their support and advice
- Adam Bandt MP and his office for printing our posters and flyers
- Melbourne City Council, and their staff and contractors, for supporting the festival by waiving all permit fees, and for providing assistance with event planning, access and waste management
- Chris Star, for providing advice on media and publicity matters
- All those who helped promote the festival and invite people along (especially Yarra Campaign for Action on Transport, who tweeted and posted about us nearly every day for the past month!) – you all played a role in making the festival a success
The festival wouldn’t have been possible without the assistance given by, and the time and effort put in by, all these committed individuals and groups. I am so incredibly grateful for their support.
I look forward to the Royal Park Festival coming back bigger and better (and with slightly more lead time and funding) in 2015, to continue the celebration of what is a tremendous asset for all those who use it.
Alexander Sheko – Festival Organiser